Friday, July 6, 2007

Day 3 – Chicago


We had another fabulous day in the Windy City – it wasn’t windy, but pleasantly breezy, sunny and gorgeous. Today we took the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority aka subway) to the Sears Tower – the tallest building in the US, and the 3rd tallest building in the world. Before you went up to the observation level, they played an interesting movie about the building of the tower and history of its ownership. Trajan thought it was cool to learn that Gramma once worked for Sears. Then up the express elevator to the 103rd Floor to the observation level. Mark stayed clear of the windows, so I was on video camera duty. They also have a cool historical timeline of Sears Tower and Chicago trivia on the inner walls of the observation floor – talking about such things as the Great Chicago Fire and the mythical culprit of Mrs. O’Leary’s cow, as well the origins of a Mickey Finn.


After the Tower visit, Trajan and Macey had a mini picnic lunch across the street in on the lawn of the office building facing the tower. There were lots of folks enjoying the sunshine on their lunch hour, and the building provided lots of Adirondack chairs for people to sit and enjoy the world going by.


Then it was a trip on the El (Elevated Train) to Michigan Avenue and a Taste of Chicago, an outdoor food festival. It was very crowded, even though it was mid-afternoon on a weekday. It’s going to be SRO this weekend! I had some mini crab cakes, Mark got a slice of Chicago–style pizza and some roasted Illinois corn on the cob, and Trajan enjoyed a cherry Italian Ice. After a visit to the children’s corner for a ride on the Merry-Go-Round and a visit to the giant Jumpy Thing, we caught the 146 bus to the CTA, and took another subway ride back to our neighborhood.


On the way back to the hotel we stopped at the Jewel Osco, which is a grocery store. It is strange for this West Coast girl to go in to an urban grocery – I’m used to the stand-alone supermarkets. Mark and Trajan waited for Macey and I at the Starbucks on the corner. Afterward, we came back to the hotel – the boys went swimming and the girls took a short snooze in the nursing chair. Then it was off to our picnic dinner!


We went back to Jewel Osco, picked up some sandwiches and other yummies, and headed to the Chicago Water Tower, were we enjoyed our dinner in front of the fountain and watched the horse-drawn carriages pass by. Chicago is such a clean and walkable city, it is truly amazing. Then back to the hotel, to get ready for our journey on Route 66 starting early tomorrow morning. Everyone is snoring now, except for me, sitting here pecking away on the laptop. We are all very excited to begin our Route 66 adventure tomorrow – we got a preview of our beginning point today as we were walking to Taste of Chicago – we passed the official beginning point of Route 66, which you will see a photo of in tomorrow’s entry - after I get my computer guru to help me figure out how to post them on this @#$% thing :-O

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.
Here is my web blog ... web hosting delhi

Anonymous said...

Hello to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web site, and your views are good in favor of new viewers.


My website ... hakukoneoptimointi

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to pay a visit this web page and reading the views of all mates concerning this piece of writing, while I am also eager of getting knowledge.

Look into my blog post BMW Z4 Windscreen
my page > BMW Z4 Windscreen

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him
as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty.
You're incredible! Thanks!

My blog - BMW Z4 Windscreen
My site - BMW Z4 Windscreen

Anonymous said...

Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site accidentally,
and I'm surprised why this accident did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.

Feel free to visit my web page: jasa pembuatan website

Anonymous said...

Your style is very unique compared to other people I've read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this web site.


Take a look at my webpage :: sexy girls

Anonymous said...

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
It's always useful to read content from other authors and practice something from their sites.

my site: cfnm fever movies

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just want to give you a big thumbs up for your great information you've got here on this post. I am returning to your website for more soon.

Here is my blog cfnmfever.net

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was
a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from
you! However, how could we communicate?

my web page ... http://www.teengirlsporn.net (http://www.pornoteca69.com/)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement
account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
However, how could we communicate?

Also visit my blog; http://www.teengirlsporn.net (http://www.pornoteca69.com/)

Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

My web blog: www.asiansexyteens.org (http://www.tube8.su)